Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"What's this war at the heart of nature?"

Today we watched Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line in my course on the problem of evil in contemporary cinema. One of these day's I'll post my reflections on the film. But for now, I just wanted to list out some of the more interesting lines from the film:
  • What's this war in the heart of nature? Why does nature vie with itself, the land contend with the sea? ls there an avenging power in nature? Not one power, but two?
  • This great evil. Where does it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us? Robbing us of life and light. Mockin' us with the sight of what we might've known. Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed through this night?
  • Darkness, light. Strife and love. Are they the workings of one mind? The features of the same face?
  • Maybe all men got one big soul who everybody's a part of. All faces of the same man. One big self.
  • Who are you to live in all these many forms? You’re death that captures all. You, too, are the source of all that's gonna be born, your glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart.
  • I remember my mother when she was dyin', looked all shrunk up and gray. I asked her if she was afraid. She just shook her head. I was afraid to touch the death I seen in her. I couldn't find nothin' beautiful or uplifting about her goin' back to God. I heard of people talk about immortality, but I ain't seen it. I wondered how it'd be like when I died, what it'd be like to know this breath now was the last one you was ever gonna draw. I just hope I can meet it the same way she did, with the same... calm. 'Cause that's where it's hidden - the immortality I hadn't seen.

No comments: